Below are answers to some common questions about Benesse Art Site Naoshima.
For other questions, please contact us as indicated on this page.
Chichu Art Museum Online Tickets
About Chichu Art Museum Online Tickets
- I arrived earlier than my reserved time. Can I use the Chichu Cafe only?
- The Chichu Cafe is located in the museum and can be used only after admission. You may purchase soft beverages and snacks at our Ticket Center Shop. Please note there are no restaurants or cafes nearby.
- Can I cancel my online ticket after purchase?
- Cancellation requests will be accepted until 1 hour before your reservation. Please check the "Cancellation" description on the "Chichu Art Museum Online Tickets" page and follow the instruction on the cancellation form.
- Can I change the reserved day or time of my online ticket after purchase?
- No, we cannot accept any changes to the date or time of your ticket once purchased. You can make ticket cancellations until 1 hour before your reservation. Please cancel your ticket and then repurchase a new ticket.
- I think I'll be late for the time I have reserved. What should I do?
- Online tickets are valid for 30 minutes from the reservation time written on the ticket. They will become invalid after that.
- Can I make a reservation by telephone?
- We apologize, but reservations can only be made online.
- Can I visit without making a reservation?
- It is possible to visit the museum without a reservation, only if there are tickets still available for your preferred timeslots. However, museum entry may not be guaranteed if the online tickets for the day are all sold out.
We highly recommend for you to make a purchase online in advance.
- How can I purchase my online tickets?
- You may purchase them through the sales page on Benesse Art Site Naoshima official website. However, the payment method accepted for the online tickets is only by credits cards only.
(Cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, JCB).
However, we also accept cash for purchases on the day of your visit at the Ticket Center.
- Admission is free for children aged 15 and under, but is a reservation (online ticket purchase) required for children also?
- Yes, reservations are required for all visitors (including children). Regardless of age, please make a reservation for the total number of visitors in your party (when purchasing your online tickets, please select "Child 15 and under" on the ticket number selection screen).
If you are a junior high school or high school student, please bring proof such as a student ID on the day of visit.
- How many online tickets can be purchased per reservation?
- You may purchase tickets for up to a maximum of 8 people. Please make a Group Booking for 9 people or more. However, we do not accept Group Booking during busy seasons. Therefore, if you do come during the busy season, we kindly ask you to please divide yourselves amongst different timeslots (i.e. For groups of 12, 8 people for 10:00 + 4 people for 10:15 or 6 people for 10:00 + 6 people for 10:15). To maintain the museum environment as best as possible, we kindly ask you to please avoid making a purchase of 9 tickets or more for the same timeslot.
- Are licensed guide interpreters admitted free of charge?
- Yes, licensed interpreters visiting on a professional function will be admitted free of charge if they can present their license card.
Please do not include interpreters in the number of online tickets purchased. In the case that an online ticket has been purchased for a licensed interpreter, there will be no refund. Also, please note that if interpreters cannot present their license card on the day of visit they will be required to purchase an admission.
- Is there a handling fee for purchasing online tickets?
- No handling fees apply to the purchase of online tickets.
- Must one group leave the museum before the next group is admitted?
- No, that is not the case. We have a limited number of visitors that can enter at once for some of the artworks in the museum.
- Are all Benesse Art Site Naoshima facilities accessible through a reservation system?
- The Chichu Art Museum, the Hiroshi Sugimoto Gallery, the Art House Project Kinza and the Teshima Art Museum are the only facilities that have a booking system. You may make your reservation through the Benesse Art Site Naoshima official website.
- What if I would like to request a private tour?
- Private tours are currently not accepting applications.
- If I make an advance reservation, can I book a bus or ferry too? (Or will I be given priority?)
- Reservations are not possible, as there are limited number of transportations such as buses and trains running throughout the day. Therefore, we highly suggest you to please allow plenty of time when planning your visit, especially during the Holiday Season or the Setouchi Triennale Season. For transportation access around Naoshima, please click here .
- I have an Annual Passport . Will I receive preferential treatment?
- Annual Passports holders can enter without making a reservation.
However, accompanying guest of passport holders are required to make a reservation, as the general public.
Also, if you forget your Annual Passport on the day of visit, you will be required to purchase an online ticket. Please make sure to bring your passport along.
- Do I get any priority if I have the Invitation tickets?
- Those who have an Invitation tickets may enter without any reservation along with those who have an Annual Passport.
- I am staying at Benesse House, so do I need to make a reservation?
- Yes. The reservation system applies to all visitors. Please purchase your own online tickets.
- What if I am a guest at Benesse House and want to re-enter the museum?
- Guests staying at Benesse House can re-enter the museum without reservations at any time until their check-out date (this applies to re-entry only). Please present your admission ticket with the re-entry stamp from the hotel at the Chichu Art Museum ticket center.
(*Tickets without a re-entry stamp will not be accepted)
- From when can I purchase my online tickets ?
- We start selling online tickets for two month ahead at 10:00 a.m. (Japan Standard Time) on the second Friday of each month.
- How will refunds be made if the museum is temporarily closed?
- If the museum is temporarily closed due to adverse weather or natural disasters, we will refund the entire amount through your credit card company.
Information regarding unscheduled closures will be announced on the top page of Benesse Art Site Naoshima's official website.
If a refund is issued, we will inform customers via e-mail and through the sales page as required.
* For details on how to purchase and use online tickets, please check here.