Below are answers to some common questions about Benesse Art Site Naoshima.
For other questions, please contact us as indicated on this page.
- How do I get around Naoshima?
- You can use the Naoshima Town Bus, a rental bicycle, or simply walk. Please see our Naoshima Map page for more information.
- Is it possible to walk around the island?
- Yes. The approximate time needed to travel between different art facilities is indicated below. Please note that many roads on the island are quite steep, travelling time may thus vary greatly.
Miyanoura Port → Honmura: appx. 30min.(appx. 2.5km)
Honmura → Benesse House Museum: appx. 30min.(appx. 2.5km)
Benesse House Museum → Lee Ufan Museum: appx.9min(appx. 500m)
Lee Ufan Museum → Chichu Art Museum: appx.9min(appx. 500m)
Chichu Art Museum → Miyanoura Port: appx.30min(appx. 2.5km)
- Are there any taxis on Naoshima?
- There is one shared taxi on the island. We recommend making an advance reservation. Please see the Naoshima Taxi website(Japanese Only) for more information.
- Is there a parking area close to the Chichu Art Museum?
- Parking is available at the Ticket Center. However, parking spaces are limited, and so rather than driving we recommend visitors use the Naoshima Town Bus to travel around the island, and the free shuttle bus to travel within the Benesse Art Site Naoshima area.
- Is there a parking area close to the Lee Ufan Museum?
- There is a parking area near the bus stop(Lee Ufan Museum), available for use by guests staying at Benesse House.
- How do I get back to the port (宮浦港; Miyanoura-ko) after attending the Open Sky Night Program at the Chichu Art Museum?
- There is a transportation service back to the hotel for guests of Benesse House. Other visitors may walk, bicycle, or use the Naoshima Taxi. Because there is only one vehicle, we recommend making an advance reservation if you wish to use the taxi. Please see the Naoshima Taxi website(Japanese Only) for more information. It may take a reasonably fit person 15 minutes to bicycle and 35 minutes at a brisk pace to walk.
About the museums
- Is it possible to reenter the museums?
- Visitors may reenter the Lee Ufan Museum and ANDO MUSEUM on the day of the original visit only; the Benesse House Museum can be reentered on the same day and the following day. Entrance tickets must be presented for reentry to the museums.
However, guests staying at Benesse House are able to reenter the Chichu Art Museum, Lee Ufan Museum, Benesse House Museum, Art House Project, ANDO MUSEUM at any time during their stay. Please inquire at the Benesse House front desk for more information.
- Can I take my pet into the museums located on Naoshima?
- Unfortunately pets are not allowed to enter any of the museums located on Naoshima. Please note also museums there is no pet minding service.
- Is it possible to borrow a wheelchair, and can I visit the museums using a wheelchair?
- Wheelchairs are available and it is possible to visit the museums using a wheelchair at the Chichu Art Museum, Lee Ufan Museum and Benesse House Museum. Please note that some of the spaces in the museum require you to remove your shoes. Wheelchair numbers are limited, so please be sure to reserve one in advance. You can find the contact numbers for each of the museums on our facilities page.
- I have a Physical Disability Certificate. Does this entitle me to a discount on museum entrance fees?
- None of the museums offer discounts or waive entrance fees.
- How much time should I allot for the museums located on Naoshima?
- The following times apply as a rule of thumb for the time to allot to each museum:
Chichu Art Museum: 1 hour - 1 hour and 30 minutes
Lee Ufan Museum: 30 minutes
Benesse House Museum: 1 hour
Art House Project: 2 hours
ANDO MUSEUM: 15 - 30 minutes
- I just want to visit the cafes and shops in the the museums located on Naoshima.
- Entrance tickets are required in order to visit the cafes and shops in the museums. However, the shop near Benesse House Hotel and the Honmura Lounge & Archive can be visited without purchasing a museum entrance ticket.
- I've heard that I need a waiting number to get into the Chichu Art Museum and the Minamidera (Art House Project) when they are crowded.
- To help provide a better viewing experience for all visitors, we distribute waiting numbers and restrict the number of people entering at one time when we have a lot of visitors. Please ask the staff of each museum for more information when you visit.
About the artworks
- Can I photograph the artworks?
- We request visitors not to take photographs on museum premises. We also ask visitors not to take videos or make sketches. However, in some cases individual museums allow visitors to take photographs of outside artworks and certain other works. Please read the information below, and ask museum staff if you require further information.
- Chichu Art Museum：Visitors may take photographs in the Ticket Center and the Chichu Garden.
- Lee Ufan Museum：Visitors may photograph the artworks located outside the building. Once past the ticket counter, however, no photography is allowed.
- Benesse House Museum：Only outside artworks may be photographed.
- Art House Project： In order to respect the privacy of neighboring residents, passersby, and other visitors, only photographs of the exterior of the houses may be taken.
- Naoshima Bath "I♥︎︎湯"： In order to respect the privacy of neighboring residents, passersby, and other visitors, only photographs of the exterior may be taken.
We also ask that visitors use any photographs that they take for their personal enjoyment and not for publication or similar purposes.
- Is it allowed to touch outdoor artworks?
- To prevent damaging the artworks, we ask all guest to kindly refrain from touching all works, including those installed outdoors.
- How do I learn about the art work at Benesse Art Site Naoshima?
- A dedicated publication is available at each art facility. Please also see the publications page for more information.
About Group visits(10 persons and more)
- Is a discount available for groups?
- We do not offer discounts for groups.
- Is there anything we should be aware of if visiting the museums in a large group (10 or more people)?
- Please contact the individual museums in advance if wishing to visit in a group of 10 or more.
Please see the Our facilities page for contact details.
- Is there parking space for large vehicle like tour buses?
- Parking space is available for museum visitors who arrive in buses. Because advance reservations are required for some spaces, please contact the individual museum in advance.
Please see the Our facilities page for contact details.
- Are there any automated teller machine (ATM) for personal banking near the museums?
- There is an ATM in the Naoshima Post Office in the Honmura district where the Art Houses Project is located. There is also an ATM in the Miyanoura Post Office and the convenience store(Seven Eleven) in the Miyaura Port area. Please see the individual websites for hours.
- Is there any place we can eat outside? Can we do fireworks around hotel?
- It is not allowed to eat out, do fireworks, or to swim on our premises all-year around.
- Are there medical facilities on Naoshima?
- A municipal hospital, the Fureai Clinic (ふれあい診療所; Fureai Shinryosho), is located in Miyanoura (available 24 hours).