Below are answers to some common questions about Benesse Art Site Naoshima.
For other questions, please contact us as indicated on this page.
Benesse House (Hotel)
- Is it necessary to make a reservation for a ferry to Naoshima?
- You cannot book a ferry. Please come to the port and purchase the ferry ticket(s) by the departure time.
- Is a discount available for ferry?
- For guests who drove and take the Uno⇔Naoshima or Takamatsu⇔Naoshima round-trip routes, tickets that allow your vehicle on the return ferry at 15% discount are available at the front desk of the hotel. Please only purchase one-way out-bound tickets at the time of departure, and show us the outbound stub at the front desk when you check in.
Discounts for passenger fares are not available.
- Is a parking lot for private automobiles available?
- Hotel guests may use the parking lots next to the buildings of Benesse House.
- Are bicycles available for rental?
- We do not lend bicycles at Benesse House.
- How do I get to the hotel from the port?
- Benesse House guest shuttle buses are available according to a schedule that matches the departure and arrival times of the ferry at Miyanoura port in Naoshima.
Time table for guest shuttle bus
If you plan to arrive or leave during a period when the shuttle buses are not operating (e.g., arrival after 7:00 pm), we can arrange to have you picked up or dropped off if you notify us ahead of time.
- Is it necessary to make a reservation for the hotel guest shuttle bus?
- No. Please check the operation hours on the time table for Benesse House guest shuttle bus.
Time table for guest shuttle bus
Also, the driver will ask for the name of the guest(s) when you get on.
- I’m going to use the hotel guest shuttle bus, but I don't know where to get off to go to my room.
- For guests staying at Benesse House Museum or Oval, get off at Benesse House Museum. For guests staying at Park or Beach, get off at Benesse House Park.
- I want to go directly to the museum without stopping at the hotel.
- If you use the Benesse House guest shuttle bus from the Miyanoura port, the driver will take your luggage and bring them to your room once the room is ready.
- I heard that vehicles are not allowed to go to the side of Benesse House.
- The entry of general vehicles is prohibited in the Benesse House area. However, the following vehicles may enter.
・Guests staying at Benesse House
・Buses that applied for entry approval in advance
If you are a guest staying at Benesse House, please tell the name to the staff at the entrance.
If you wish to obtain bus entry, please proceed with Entry permit to Benesse House area. The staff will contact you shortly.
- I want to go by private cruiser.
- Please contact the Naoshima Town Office to make use of the Visitors' berth from Miyanoura Port.
About the museums
- Is there any benefit to entering the museum?
- The guests staying at Benesse House can re-enter the museum facilities in Naoshima (Chichu Art Museum, Lee Ufan Museum, Art House Project, and ANDO MUSEUM) during their stay at Benesse House. If you show a stub from one of the museums at the front desk, you will receive a stamp that permits re-entry.
- Can I purchase museum tickets at the hotel?
- Entrance to Benesse House Museum is free for the guests staying at Benesse House. We will give you the ticket(s) when you check in, and they’re good for multiple entries during your stay.
Only the tickets for Art House Project are sold at the front desk.
About Benesse House (Hotel)
- How do I reserve a room at Benesse House?
- We take reservations on the Benesse House Reservations all day (24 hours). We take phone reservations at +81-(0)87-892-3223 from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm.
If you reserve a room through the website, you can also easily reserve and modify your reservations at restaurants or cancel your stay.
- How early can I reserve a room at Benesse House?
- Reservations are accepted up to 180 days prior to your planned date of stay.
- What are the room types at Benesse House and how much are the room rates?
- The room rates vary depending on the room type, number of guests, and season. Please refer to the Room Rates.
- I’m considering a group stay.
- At Benesse House, reservations for five or more rooms are handled as a group. Please ask us about the reservations at Benesse House Group Counter.
- I made a reservation through the website but I’m worried if the completed reservation has been confirmed.
- For guests who completed their reservations through the website, a “Reservation confirmation email” is automatically sent to the email address you registered. If you haven’t received the “Reservation confirmation email”, it may be because of the following reasons.
・Only the “Customer Registration” is complete, and the room reservation is not complete
・The email address you registered is not correct
・For a carrier email address, the domain setting is on
Please check the registration and the settings again, and contact the hotel via phone or email if the issue is still not resolved.
- Is a waiting list available?
- We do not have a waiting list. As room availability is reflected on the Benesse House Reservations in real time, please check the corresponding page and make a reservation on your own.
- I was not asked about the payment method at the time of booking.
- At Benesse House, we do not request advance payment or credit card approval at the time of booking. Please pay the charges by cash or credit card at the front desk when you check out.
- Which credit cards do you accept?
- We take AMEX, Diners, JCB, MasterCard, NICOS, VISA, and China UnionPay (debit card).
- Can I withdraw cash?
- An ATM is not available in the hotel. Please use an ATM at the post office or one of the banks or convenience stores on the island.
- Can I exchange foreign currency?
- No, we do not offer this service at the hotel.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- The prescribed cancellation fees below will be charged for cancellations made within one week prior to your stay.
・50% of the room rate(s) for cancellations made 7 days - 2 days prior to the arrival
・100% of the room rate(s) for cancellations made after 1 day prior to the arrival or no-show
- I decided to cancel my reservations.
- If you made reservations through the website, you can proceed at the Reservation confirmation page.
For other guests, please contact us via phone or email.
Also, the prescribed cancellation fees will be charged for cancellations made within one week prior to your stay.
- What time is the check-in and check-out?
- Check-in is from 3:00 pm, and check-out is 11:00 am.
- Can I see the Oval without staying at Benesse House?
- For the privacy purposes of our guests, we ask those not staying at the Oval not to enter Benesse House Oval.
- Is Internet connection available?
- Free Wi-Fi is available in all rooms at Benesse House. Wired LAN connections are not supported. Also, the common computer corner, two computers at the “Park” and one computer each at the “Museum” and “Oval”, are available for guests staying at Benesse House.
- Which amenities will be provided?
- Towels, nightwear, bathrobes, slippers, tooth brushes, razors, shampoo/soap, hair dryer, refrigerator, safe, and CD player are provided in the room.
Please ask the front desk for basic skin care products for ladies (set of cleansing gel, face wash, lotion, and milky lotion), TV (JPY 1,000/stay), humidifier, iron, and CDs.
- Are children able to stay at Benesse House?
- In order to maintain the unique atmosphere of a relaxed stay inside an art museum, Museum and Oval and Beach Suite Double cannot accommodate age 5 or under. However, welcome to stay at Park and Beach Suite.
- Are amenities for children available?
- As we do not provide amenities for children, please prepare any necessary goods on your own. If you need a baby bed, please notify us at the time of booking.
- I’m planning to go to the restaurants in the building during my stay at Benesse House. Should I make a reservation?
- Seats are limited at every restaurant. In case you cannot reserve the restaurant and time range of your choice, we recommend you to make a reservation ahead of time.
Also, guests who have reserved their rooms through the website can book and modify their reservations at the Reservation confirmation page.
- Are children allowed in the restaurants in Benesse House?
- Yes, they are. However, only at Museum Restaurant Issen, children under 6 years old are not permitted at dinner.
- Are vending machines available in the building?
- Vending machines are not available in Benesse House. Please use the mini bar in the room or Benesse House Shop.
- Are there convenience stores near Benesse House?
- No, there are no stores, including convenience stores, around Benesse House.
- Are coin-operated laundry facilities available?
- The washing machines and dryers at the Museum and Oval are available for free to guests staying at Benesse House. Please ask the staff ahead of time.
- Is there a swimming pool or fitness gym available in the building?
- Benesse House is a hotel built to think over art, nature, architecture, and oneself. Therefore, such facilities are not available.
- Is there a place to swim nearby?
- Swimming is prohibited within Benesse House areas. Swimming is possible at the beach of Tsutsuji-so, a five-minute walk from Benesse House Park. However, there is no lifeguard or rescue squad, so please swim at your own risk.
- Do you accept luggage that is delivered prior to arrival?
- Yes. Please indicate the “name of the hotel guest”, and the “check-in date” on the invoice and send it to the address below. Also, please include the name of the building where the hotel guests will be staying.
Benesse House (please clearly state the building from the following; Museum, Oval, Park or Beach)
Address: Gotanji, Naoshima, Kagawa County, Kagawa 761-3110
- What should I do if I want to use the seminar rooms?
- Benesse House has two conference rooms that can be used for seminars and other events. Please contact Benesse House Group Counter for room rates and available equipment.